Crossroads of Humanity

Jan 22, 2013

Epidemic

Today, I'd like to welcome Mike Jenkins to Crossroads of Humanity.




The epidemic changes through person to person, time to time and situation to situation. This epidemic isn’t some dreaded virus, but it is just as serious. This epidemic is the toxin known as bullying. I am writing this as a tale of how I am, was and starting to overcome this frightening condition and spread the cure.

My first encounter with this disease came from my tender youth. I was only in kindergarten. Another young child asked me if I believed in God. I told her that I didn’t know. She then asked if I went to church. I told her that my family didn’t go to church. I was then blasted with this young girl’s fury, and the disease spread to me with the statement that I was going to Hell. I, even how wise I was at that age didn’t know what this meant, I asked my mom, and she was appalled at such a statement that a young girl would make. The disease was halted for awhile from the tender care of my mother. Several months down the road, the disease continued to spread through my classroom. Its vicious cycle made children cry and the teacher worry, but it finally came to me once more. The new encounter came as an attack on my age. One may think that the plague of ageism only happens when you are older, but I can assure you at the tender age of six, stricken with sadness, thinking that this wouldn’t happen to me but another blow to my already fragile immune system was the fact I was taller than some of the kids in the class. From that point on, I tried to stay away from most of the children. Again, I took the only treatment I knew of, talking to the teacher and taking refuge in the loving care of my mom’s arms.

Years later the disease has all but faded in my system. In fact, I had thought that I was cured from this disease, but I thought wrong. I was in the third grade, I became somewhat popular, but there was one kid who had the illness. This time it didn’t affect me so rapidly, but it did affect someone I cared about. I decided to give the potential infected victim a shot of 50cc of protection and another 50cc of compassion. That halted the disease spreading throughout that body. Around this time, a new threat appeared. It was a new strain that I had never experienced which made the attack on my system more severe. This individual was younger than me. This individual followed me around the school yard making sure my recovery was never going to happen. To make the recovery even more difficult, he tied my hand to a rope, making it hard for me to escape and tell a teacher. That summer, I ran into him again, and he seemed to be cured of his bullying, but as time went on it appeared again. This time I decided to act; I attacked gently with my lunch box to let him know that I don’t want him near me. After this happened, he ran and told our counselor, and I got into trouble with the camp. But with my dad, I was applauded, and he was proud of me. I was proud but hurt because I had stooped to the bully’s level.

Several years later, throughout my middle school years, I was teased but not as severely as my younger days. Though there was an instance before my thirteenth birthday when some of the children threw rocks at me for no reason. I am sad to admit that it affected me severely enough that I had wanted to end my life. I overcame this instance with the help from an uncle, but nonetheless, it still haunts me to this day on how far I would have gotten if it weren’t for him.  As time went by, the bullying decreased, but when I entered high school, it was still there. I was mainly teased because I acted differently and dressed differently, and I continued to act up because it made the plague jealous because I was getting friends, and they weren’t.

This disease still affects me to this day, but I try to overcome it and remember the medical treatment I received in love and compassion. The best way to make sure this dreadful disease is ended is by awareness and action done by the teachers or whoever is in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment