Crossroads of Humanity

Apr 20, 2012

School's Out!


Why do many people believe teachers and other school staff don't work on inservice days? The point of inservice days is for professional training and meetings so that we can do our jobs better. One day last year, I had a meeting scheduled with a woodworker who was planning a project with my class. He never showed up so I called him to find out why. He said he'd bumped into one of the parents who told him we had the day off and that he would need to reschedule. Even some of my students think teachers don't work on inservice days.

Yesterday as my students left, I said, "Have a great three day weekend!"

One little girl turned to me and replied, "You too!"

Just for fun, here are some phrases I heard today during our Professional Learning Communities training:

to hear the voices...

This is about distributive leadership.

When the elephant's in the room, you've got to name it.

If you go to the affective conflict, you're going to lose every time.

There's a difference between dialogue and discussion.

Leading change is a planned journey into uncharted waters with a leaky boat and a mutinous crew. -Michael Fullan

No comments:

Post a Comment